Principia at FOSDEM 2025

epiloog
Posted on 2024-09-21 13:18 (edited 2024-09-21 13:19) Link

FOSDEM is a yearly event for all things free and open source that takes place in Brussels. The dates for next year have been announced to be 1-2nd February, and applications for stands, talks etc. will be available soon.

Will Principia have a presence during the next FOSDEM? It would be fun to see a stand for Principia, but just visiting and getting to meet in person would be interesting too.

(Avatar)
ROllerozxa
Posted on 2024-09-22 00:24 Link

Going to such an event has always been an interesting idea in the back of my head but I don't really have the financial means to get to FOSDEM.

As for a Principia stand I assume we're not popular enough to get one either, looking at the kinds of projects that got one last year. There would also need to be at least two people responsible for the stand and I'm just one person, even if I was able to go and they would otherwise accept a stand for Principia. I don't think it would be possible.

epiloog
Posted on 2024-09-28 01:19 Link

That is rather unfortunate. I don't think you should feel discouraged from applying for a stand for Principia, I'm sure they would still consider it, because it would be a quite big thing for the project. Have you considered doing a fundraiser for raising money for you and another developer to attend it in person?

(Avatar)
ROllerozxa
Posted on 2024-09-28 13:42 (edited 2024-09-28 13:45) Link

Considering I don't receive enough donations to cover server costs I haven't even considered doing a fundraiser to ask for anything more superfluous. And there is no "another developer" here right now, it's basically just me. The second person responsible could just be any community member who is close by and is interested, but I don't know if there are any.

In general, I don't think we're very well prepared or have the resources to attend, whether it be me personally or running a Principia stand. But maybe that will change for a future year.