The Wiki Thread

(Avatar)
ROllerozxa
Posted on 2022-10-02 19:18 Link

Since we now have a new Wiki, I thought there should be a forum thread in particular for discussing it, if you want to discuss contributing to the Wiki or the like. There is of course also the #wiki channel on Discord if you want to chat about it there.

(Avatar)
ROllerozxa
Posted on 2022-10-13 09:55 Link

All objects have been imported, and a large majority of the content from the old wiki has been sorted through and imported. I've also gone ahead and imported all item help texts into their own pages.

I went through all the object pages to improve them or elaborate on some things, but everyone else is open to contribute, it's a wiki after all. Sometime I'm going to be going through all of rom1k's tutorials, restepping them to take updated screenshots and fix up the formatting to properly link to object pages while I'm at it.

pele
Posted on 2024-09-13 11:53 Link

WOW good job on the new wiki! ^_^ it will be great for new players to get knowledge, i see it linked from the game directly now.

i see some pages that could have more info! how do i edit the wiki? i do not seem to have permission to. i have experience editing wikis but i did not contribute to the old principia wiki

GREETINGS ^_^

(Avatar)
ROllerozxa
Posted on 2024-09-13 12:03 Link

The Wiki contents are stored and version controlled in Git now and you contribute through Github PRs. There is a Contributing to the Wiki page that you really could have found on your own. Changes go through review before merging but I hope it is not too much of a discouragement, I have always wanted more people to contribute to the Wiki but back when it had proper Wiki editing flow the only edits from others were just plain vandalism.

pele
Posted on 2024-09-13 16:21 Link

Oh NO, I know. vandalism is not good :( but on wiki like mediawiki you can revert vandalism very quickly and everyone can remove mistakes without a review. but i understand the pravalance of vandalism on a wiki. i will send pull request on github when i have ideas for changes :)

GREETINGS ^_^

(Avatar)
ROllerozxa
Posted on 2024-09-13 21:04 Link

Posted by pele
but on wiki like mediawiki you can revert vandalism very quickly and everyone can remove mistakes without a review.

Everyone can edit it, everyone can revert vandalism, but in reality nobody actually did and I was solely the one cleaning up and reverting vandalism when it would occur. This way vandalism does not even show up, but if it does their PR will just not be merged and the user visible wiki pages stay pristine.